Friday, July 10, 2009

SmugMug User Groups

SmugMug is a photo hosting company based out of Mountain View, California. I post my some of my photos there. They recently decided to sponser SmugMug User Groups which have been forming all over the United States and Canada.

The idea is to gather photography minded amateurs and professionals together for a monthly meeting where they can "learn, teach and meet other photographers that share your passion". They use the meetings to gather feedback for their company and even giveaway swag.

3 groups have formed in the San Francisco bay area alone and I attend the group at SmugMug headquarters in Mountain View. There is no fee or even a requirement to sign up, and you can bring friends. I have signed up for all 3 but so far they meet on the same nights.

To date we have had presentations by wedding photographers Gene Higa and Dane Sanders and Gary Levenberg, Chief Business Guy of QiGo. BayPhoto of Santa Cruz attends the meetings with many samples of their printing process and experts to answer questions.

So far, it has been a useful and rewarding experience for me, keeping my mind on photography, meeting other photogs and helping me get the most out of what SmugMug and BayPhoto have to offer. Check it out.

Direct Link to find a User Group in your area: http://smugmug.com/smugs/find/

No comments:

Post a Comment